A hearty homestyle family meal and widely regarded as Fijis national dish!
- 4 medium sized fish fillets (bones are optional)
- 4 stalks of chinese cabbage or a full English cabbage
- 1 large onion
- 1 large tomato
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 lemons
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 chillies (hotter the better!)
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in pot
- Lightly pan fry fish fillets until golden brown
- Place cabbage under fish in pot
- Finely slice onions and tomatoes into long strips and place on top of fish
- Gently pour your coconut milk into pot covering all the ingredients
- Add chillies and salt to taste
- Let simmer for a further 20 minutes on low heat
- Squeeze lemon just before serving
Recipe Contributor : Flavours of Fiji Cooking School
Welcome to Flavours of Fiji Cooking School
Driven by a passion for local cuisine, Flavours of Fiji was created for visitors to enjoy and immerse themselves in Fiji’s local food culture. The cooking classes are hosted by local home-style cooks showcasing their delicious local dishes boasting Fijian & Indo-Fijian flavours.
Offering Market Tours & Fijian Cooking Classes, guests start the day with an informative guided market tour through Nadis’ local fresh produce markets followed by a seasonal produce inspired cooking class.
Creating delicious island favourites, cooks share their traditional cooking techniques, helpful hints & entertaining stories.
Suitable for experienced cooks & beginners, this culinary adventure takes you on a mouth-watering journey of Fijis’ rich cultural history.
For further information please visit Flavours of Fiji website www.flavoursoffiji.com