The heart of an English Cream Tea that is particularily loved in Devon and Cornwall. The Scones can be quickly made in an afternoon, ready for a mid-afternoon treat. Great enjoyed with Breakfast tea, like the Brits do best. The big question is Clotted Cream first or Jam first? Don’t upset the locals – Cream first in Devon, Jam first in Cornwall!
The recipe: makes 8 scones
Total preparation time 10 minutes and cooking time 10 minutes.
Flavoursome and fresh, and a great afternoon treat.
Ingredients – makes 8 scones
(all ingredients can be purchased from local supermarket)
- 350g self-raising flour, plus more for dusting
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 85g butter, cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 175ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- beaten egg to glaze
- strawberry jam and cornish / devonshire clotted cream, to serve
- Heat oven to 220C. Add the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl and mix. Add the butter, and beat until the mix looks like fine crumbs. Then stir in the sugar.
- Put the milk into a jug and heat until warm, but not boiling. Add vanilla and lemon juice.
- Make a well in the dry mix, then add the liquid and combine it altogether. Scatter some flour onto a flat surface and tip the dough out. Dredge the dough and your hands with a little more flour, then fold the dough over a couple of times until it’s smooth. Pat into a round tin about 4cm deep.
- Take a5cm cutter and dip it into some flour. Plunge into the dough, then repeat until you have four scones.
- Brush the tops with beaten egg, then carefully place onto a baking tray.
- Bake for 10 mins until risen and golden on the top.
- Eat warm on the day of baking, generously topped with strawberry jam and clotted cream.
Recipe Contributor : GN Espace.
GN Espace is made up of keen sailors who have been fortunate enough to combine their passion for sailing with their love of food.
The Company specialises in producing marine cookers and associated galley products for all sizes of yachts.
For further information please visit the GN Espace website at: www.gn-espace.com